​If you are living and working in Australia or New Zealand, doing business in the US can be a minefield of complex issues, not only for large, multinational corporations but also for small “mom and pop” investors. However, investing in US business interests can still be a very attractive opportunity, be it through rental properties, shares, or other business investments.

If you intend to do business in the USA, you will need a tax specialist you can count on. You need someone in your corner who can understand and assist with the different withholding requirements for foreign companies and the complex rules around operating a place of business in the US.

The differences between income classified as “US sourced” and “Foreign sourced” can be extremely minor. That said, the tax implications of these classifications can be significant and far-reaching. So can “effectively-connected income”, a complex area of tax law that often requires expert assistance.

That’s where US Global Tax steps in. We can assist—through effective tax planning but also any necessary associated reporting—your efforts to conduct business in the United States. Speak with us today to learn more about how we can help.


The United States accounts for over a quarter of all worldwide economic activity, making it one of the most lucrative places to invest in business entities. However, foreign individuals have extra hurdles to jump in order to extend the reach of their global business into the US. US tax treaties like those with Australia and New Zealand make it possible to conduct business in America without paying double taxation on your income, but this requires additional reporting documentation that can be a challenge for some.

If you’re ready to dip your toes into US business culture, speak with the knowledgeable tax experts at US Global Tax. Our experience with federal, state, and local taxes in the US will help you ensure you meet all reporting requirements.