Did you know that any individual with US income or investments may have an obligation to file a US tax return, regardless of their citizenship? At US Global Tax, we can assist in all non-resident tax issues pertaining to the US.

We have the experience and expertise to make your tax filing as a non-citizen alien much easier. Do you need help obtaining a withholding tax for a temporary US job? Are you struggling to file taxes on the sale of an investment?

Contact us today to learn more about our services for non-US citizen tax returns.


If you are a US green card holder, you are a legal resident of the US, but not a citizen. You may also classify as a non-citizen if you have been present in the US – any of the 50 states or Washington DC – for 31 days in a single tax year or for 183 days within the current year and the 2 years immediately prior. This is known as the substantial presence test.

Non-US citizens should complete and file form 1040 to ensure they collect any refund on overpaid taxes.


In many cases, the question of whether taxes are owing to the US (or refundable) is dependent on New Zealand’s tax treaty with the US. Navigating issues like these requires an expert understanding of both the tax treaty and each country’s tax laws. Complex tax treaty disclosures need to be made as part of a tax return filing, which is something we are well versed in.

Whether you’re thinking of buying an investment property in the US, considering some temporary work, or investing in the share market, tax compliance is an important factor to consider. US Global Tax knows how US tax laws will impact you. Contact us today for an obligation-free chat and let us help you navigate these tax concerns.